Is D Dead?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 12:52:00 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 11:36:30 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Why should I constrain myself, GC has a place in systems
> programming as proven by stuff being shipped in production,
> more so than what D has achieved thus far.

And I didn't say "GC does not belong to systems programming". I
asked whether Go can do without GC if someone wants to manage
memory 100% manually anyway?

> So apparently Go not fitting your definition of systems
> programming language doesn't hinder it having more success in
> the market on that regard.

Not pushing my definition of systems programming to the
dictionary. In hindsight it was stupid for me to even bring it
up, since I don't know it's formal definition if there even is
one.

> And I am not defending arguing Go only.
>
> PTC Java, Aicas Java, microEJ, Meadow .NET are also part of
> what I would consider.
>
> Including D, with a minimal runtime instead of stuff like
> DasBetterC.

Hmm, DasBetterC and C have an underlying runtime too. I think
you're saying that such a minimal runtime C has is an outdated
approach, that a high-language should have a heavier runtime than
that even when doing systems programming? And the real-low level
stuff where you just can't use the GC but could use
C++/Rust/DasBetterC (like some device drivers and the
implementation of GC) are so few that it's just better to use C
or assembly there? That it's not worthwhile for higher-level
languages to target that niche?

I'm actually fairly neutral on that argument when talking about
languages in general. I don't know about bare-metal programming
enough to be sure. But D is pretty much committed to support the
said niche, so I don't think reversing that decision is a good
idea even if the niche isn't that important in general.