Is D Dead?

Kenneth Dallmann fake at 123.con
Tue Sep 14 18:03:32 UTC 2021

On Monday, 13 September 2021 at 20:04:01 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Monday, 13 September 2021 at 18:31:59 UTC, Kenneth Dallmann
> wrote:
>>
>> C has been around for a long time and is the de facto language
>> of almost everything. To my understanding, Rust and D are the
>> only two languages that can compete.
>>

> It's a little bit more than that. Contenders to C are
>
> C++
> Rust
> Nim
> Zig
>
> My criteria is that the languages work on bare metal with
> minimum library support. Some made Go work with small embedded
> systems but still requires a runtime so I don't consider Go to
> be a contender. D barely qualifies for this category as there
> are so many library functions that require GC. If betterC
> didn't exist I would have excluded D.

Yeah, C++ is a contender.  I don't know about Nim or Zig.
C++ is visually displeasing to some, that's why I don't like it.

I'm no expert, but I believe that Rust and D are sharing opposite
strengths and
weaknesses.

Rust could be a good alternative to C, but like C it doesn't have
a full set
of OOP features.

D has a full set of OOP features, but it may not play as well
with pointers and
bare metal code as Rust.

Rust or C for absolute minimal runtime and most control and D or
C++ for OOP.

C++ is my least favorite.

D is like if Java and C had a baby.   It has the high level
features that make
interpreted languages easy and memory safe to write but also
pointers.

It seems like those two things can be a bad mix though.

There might be some potholes in the design of D.  I think if I
were to design
something like D I would follow Rust's example for memory
management, and then
add in GC as an optional feature.