Is D Dead?

russhy russhy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 23:01:54 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 18:55:01 UTC, SealabJaster
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 10:00:39 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> GC already is an optional feature in D.
>
> If only the standard library helped make this easier to work
> with.
>
> We have the half-dead std.experimental.allocator, but no
> standard collections or lifetime containers.
>
> D can shout that the GC is optional, and whilst true, it's only
> half the story.
>
> I'm not even a GC-phobic, but I still see issues here.

C doesn't have a GC, can use libc, and nobody complain

D can do the same, so why complain? has full access to both libc
and C libraries, you get  safeties and modern features on top of
that

GC is optional, i use D myself without the GC most of the time

When memory management doesn't matter, i'm happy that it has the
GC

Saying GC is not optional is plain and simple not true

D is the perfect tool because it adapts to the problem you want
to solve

Want to do system level programming, it got you covered

Want to do scripting? it got you covered

Want to do a mix of the two? it gove you covered too