Is D Dead?

Kenneth Dallmann fake at 123.con
Fri Sep 17 07:30:45 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 10:28:05 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 10:00:39 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>>
>> GC already is an optional feature in D.
>
> It depends what you mean by that, arrays and about all other
> data structures rely on GC. Also entire Phobos require GC.
>
> D without any libraries does not rely on GC but then you have
> removed many useful features of the language. The situation is
> similar with C++ but there the library only depends on
> malloc/free without any extra memory penalty and tracing
> penalty.

     I just realized, hahaha. Duh. If D can call C or C++
libraries then
it doesn't even need a line of D API.

   I'd been reading comments about how API's depend on the GC, but
on these comment boards
there are people trying to find a place in the world.

   I can say that I'm definitely not the most knowledgable
programmer or best one, although
I might know a thing or two some others don't.  I think that
thinking down on others,
or saying that they can't, is one way of making oneself feel
better when facing insecurities.

   The opinion battle...  Well, D is among C++, Swift and
Objective C.  I know C++
is a bit hairy, and Objective C, if I remember correctly, doesn't
have complete error checking, Smalltalk based, more like a
script.  D is one of the few languages that
has a full range of features.

C is very simple, that's one thing I've come to appreciate. And,
with C structs you can
still do it all, just not as easily as in a class, but there's
trade offs.  C can make
something like type checked JS, because you can implement
prototyping with the structs.

I've had some ideas for a syntax that could hypothetically be a
discretely simple notation. It would be
space blocked, like Python and I've thought of a trick or two to
bring the needed symbols
down to a minimum. Also, it could use symbols like -> for
conditionals, ~> for loops to increase lingual accessibility.  I
have also thought of a scheme to eliminate try/catch blocks
altogether, without losing any of their use.
If possible I would opt to eliminate the need for left side
statement typing, while retaining strong typing.

ty