DUB: json or sdl?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 14:15:43 UTC 2021

On 9/22/21 6:19 AM, Ki Rill wrote:
> Out of curiosity, which one do you use in your dub projects and why do
> you prefer one over another?
>
> For example, I use json. Simply because when I see `sdl`, I think of
> `SDL2` graphics library.
>
> What's your reason?

I actually used to prefer sdl, but lately, I'm using json.

sdl is an ok format to write, but I always forget the way to write
arrays or objects. With json I always know what I need to use.

I prefer a comment-allowing form, especially for config files, where
comments can provide instructions on what directives do. Having dub init
spit out a bunch of comments that describe how to configure dub, and how
to add dependencies, configs, etc, would go a long way to making it not
as bad a format.

-Steve