Rebooting the __metada/__mutable discussion

Zach Tollen zach at mystic.yeah
Sun Apr 10 12:44:41 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 10 April 2022 at 05:41:36 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation.  I think Steven is a good one to
> listen to.  He talks sense habitually.
>
> If you're available do join us and others at the next beerconf
> to talk about this and other topics.  Paul, another of the good
> ones and DIP 1035 co-author, sometimes joins in as well.

Wow, thanks. I think I will.

The only time-relevant issue I have is that if adopted as written
now, DIP1035 may preclude the investigation of what I'm
proposing, since it uses a single compiler bit for all `@system`
variables, whereas I realized in my prior
[post](https://forum.dlang.org/post/sflhxuliqgrtmfgzldrd@forum.dlang.org) that I needed to expand my proposal to two bits — one for `@system`-initialized, and one for `@system`-variable.

Even if adopted, however, it should be rather effortless to
expand the underlying implementation of DIP1035 if what I'm
saying ever proves compelling to actually consider. So it's
really not that urgent, but I at least wanted to voice my concern
now to establish precedent. (Again, I realize that my proposal is
either nuts or misunderstood, depending on who's looking at it.)