Coding Assistance Tooling, why so many scattered projects?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Apr 23 23:03:18 UTC 2022

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 05:43:35PM +0000, Salih Dincer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 April 2022 at 15:05:02 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > [...] and I will not touch a heavyweight IDE with a 10-foot pole. [...]
>
> Unless you're writing HTML, CSS and JS (e.g. VueJS) code, it's better
> to stay away. Humankind have eyes bigger than their stomach :)

I write HTML/CSS with Vim just fine. ;-)

Well OK, when the boilerplate becomes too cumbersome, then I write D
code to auto-generate parts of it. :-P  A combo I've been turning to
quite often lately is to kick up a skeletal HTML template, with
placeholders (like `@@HEADER@@`, `@@DATA@@`, etc.) that then gets
replaced with contents generated by D code.

Haven't really done too much JS lately though. Nothing beyond relatively
trivial stuff that can be easily handled by jquery.  Even with jquery
I've been finding myself itching to write D instead (JS is just not an
ideal language for programming, in general... and every time I use a
language other than D I find myself longing for D features).

But yeah, an IDE that takes 50 seconds to load, soaks up 5GB of RAM upon
startup, and then gives me an aneurysm from over-dependence on the
rodent... just not my thing, no thanks. Linux is my IDE. :-D

It is the quality rather than the quantity that matters. -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca