I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 11:05:21 UTC 2022

On Monday, 25 April 2022 at 10:41:35 UTC, user1234 wrote:
> common have you took a look at how is complex the recipe for
> what lead to this whole discussion ? it is not one of the
> complex projects you imagine.

My point was just this: gnu make is available on most developer
setups (or easy to get hold of) so using that from Dub ought to
be easy, but most applications that use make also use an
auto-config layer on top of that. I doubt most Dub authors will
be able to make good use of auto-config, so encouraging the use
of make might create more issues than it solves. Not because make
is complicated, but because autoconfig setups might require
testing on many platforms.

It might be better to build on top of a package manager for C/C++
and find a way to reuse that in a way that autoconfigs an
existing C/C++ package in such a way that it works with "import
C".

D needs to focus on reducing the need for manpower, so reusing
other eco systems makes good sense, but how to do it? That is far
from clear, but there are some emerging options in the C/C++
community that could be investigated.