I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Apr 26 18:47:44 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 06:25:40AM +1200, rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 27/04/2022 6:14 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > I'd be happy to contribute toward making dub more general, like I
> > outlined above.  But my current perception is that the dub
> > maintainers aren't interested in moving in this direction. I'd be
> > happy to be proven wrong, though!
>
> Yeah, there is a strong desire in the community to make dub support
> other build systems. It has been known for many years that this will
> need to happen at some point.

Well, maybe now is the time to make that happen!

> It is its greatest weakness due to it not supporting other languages.
> Which happens to be why it also works very well for D only projects
> *sigh*.
>
> Note: there really isn't any maintainers, that is the problem. Dub
> needs someone to step up to the plate to manage it.
>
> If we had someone who was able to review code and merge stuff for dub
> without waiting months (total exaggeration) a lot of these issues
> might go away (man power wise).

Wait. If there are no maintainers, then how does *anything* get merged
at all?!

> Of course this will be needed once ImportC starts to be mature enough
> to use (i.e. integrated preprocessor).

Well, so it looks like the time is ripe to break dub out of its original
limitations and extend its scope to other languages. (And other
build-like tasks, in general. ;-))

[...]
> > I think I'm missing something here. How does "upgrade only" relate
> > to the our present discussion?
>

> $ dub upgrade
>
> That should be the only command that should call out to the web
> service by default, unless required.
>
> This command reruns dependency resolution and things like that, which
> were already cached.

Ah, I see.  That makes sense.

It won't be covered in the book. The source code has to be useful for something, after all. -- Larry Wall