I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 19:27:38 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 19:06:47 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> Something I want to see is a proper artifact repository.
>
> For non-D that should allow us to upload binaries to it, and
> have dub automatically download and copy it based upon the
> target.
>
> I think such a service would go a long way to give a much
> better experience for people.

None of these approaches work, because the core problem is that
the eco system is too small to sustain a secure package system
detached from the rest of the world. I would never use it. Too
dangerous and exploitable. One big security vulnerability that I
don't want to think about.

There is no point in dealing with C packages when others do it,
one should at most only maintain a thin set of additional files
to cover those areas where "import C" falls short.

We are now getting dedicated languages that compile directly to
LLVM IR (with claims of better code-gen than compiling to C),
things are in a flux and it is increasingly expensive to roll
your own.

Of course, if the goal was for D to be self-sufficient then that
would be different, but that does not seem to be the strategy.

*If the official strategy is to mix D with other languages then
that has to be reflected in the official strategy for building
the eco system.*

Or change the strategy.