I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Apr 26 21:53:55 UTC 2022

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 09:38:31PM +0000, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I *DO* care about dub because dub doesn't provide me with a good way
> to work with it without dubifying everything.
>
> See I lead a project that uses cmake/ninja. It has dependencies using
> autotools, cmake, qmake, and even some that uses their own thing. None
> of that causes any significant problems.
>
> But dub don't just want to build the thing or do dependency
> management. Dub is the true way to enlightenment. You have to do it
> all the dub way or be in a world of pain.
[...]

What dub needs is a way to integrate with other build systems that
doesn't require "dubifying" everything turtles all the way down.

For the first time today, I decided to read the dub package format docs
all the way from top to bottom without skipping anything.  I've thought
of a few ideas of how the configuration file may be extended in a
non-intrusive way to allow for better integration with other build
tools.  I'm going to mull over it some more and then post some of my
ideas.

We're gonna bust open this walled garden into something that plays nicer
with its neighbours.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell. "How come he didn't put 'I think' at the end of it?" -- Anonymous