I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Apr 27 14:37:35 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 08:14:21AM +0000, Alexandru Ermicioi via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 20:30:59 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > Why not expand dub's DSL to be able to encode the kind of
> > functionality needed to write external plugins, then rewrite
> > existing functionality in terms of that DSL as a plugin?  Then
> > others can also write plugins in the same DSL, and you wouldn't need
> > to recompile dub just to add a plugin.  Just download the plugin
> > description file into some standard dub directory, and dub would
> > pick it up upon startup.
>
> Dub is more like maven from java world. I.e. it uses declarative
> approach to define a project and how to build it.

Why can't a plugin DSL be declarative too?

> Code based config build systems in D are more like gradle, since
> gradle dsl is just plain groovy with some ast macros.
[...]

IMO, it's better to have a declarative language for writing plugins, so
that you do not have to recompile dub to install a plugin.

"A one-question geek test. If you get the joke, you're a geek: Seen on a
California license plate on a VW Beetle: 'FEATURE'..." -- Joshua D.
Wachs - Natural Intelligence, Inc.