Why is D unpopular?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Thu Apr 28 19:02:39 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 28 April 2022 at 15:28:40 UTC, Adrian Matoga wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 April 2022 at 07:54:44 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 22:43:25 UTC, Adrian Matoga
>> wrote:
>>> What I've missed the most so far in D was a zero-effort reuse
>>> of C libraries, because there's a lot of useful libs in C I
>>> already know.
>>
>> Yes, has the new import-C feature been helpful for you in that
>> regard?
>
> Not yet, as it's not in GDC yet. I expect it to be a huge win
> for system-level headers, like all the ioctls, V4L2, alsa etc.
> I'd really feel safer ABI-wise if they were parsed right from
> the same sysroot as rest of the system.

GCC-12 has been branched and is currently in prerelease phase,
with an RC to be made on Monday if all is going to schedule.

GDC in there is currently in sync with the current DMD HEAD on
the stable branch (tag: `v2.100.0-beta.1`, dmd `313d28b3d`,
druntime `e361d200`, phobos `ac296f80c`).

If you can build it, feel free to send bug reports. :-)