Why is D unpopular?

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 05:37:40 UTC 2022

On Friday, 29 April 2022 at 04:09:40 UTC, Araq wrote:
> On Friday, 29 April 2022 at 01:33:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 11/2/2021 11:48 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> Um, Zortech C++ was the first native C++ compiler on DOS in
>> 1987. (The existing ones were all cfront based, and were
>> terribly slow.)
>
> From D&E:
>
> "The size of this overhead depends critically on the time
> needed to read and write the intermediate C representation and
> that primarily depends on the disc read/write strat- egy of a
> system. Over the years I have measured this overhead on various
> systems and found it to be between 25% and 100% of the
> "necessary" parts of a compilation. I have also seen C++
> compilers that didn't use intermediate C yet were slower than
> Cfront plus a C compiler."
>
> That's not "terribly slow". And before you bring up "templates
> are slow to compile", in 1987 cfront did not have templates.

Is there evidence that Zortech C++ was one of the "various
systems" mentioned in your quote?  Is it known that "necessary
parts of a compilation" were implemented to run at competitive
speed? (as opposed to, say, 4X slower than your best effort)

>> No, you won't find this account in the D&E of C++ histories,
>> but it's what actually happened.
>
> Well that's the history as you remember it and Stroustrup does
> list "1st Zortech C++ release" in June 1988. I cannot say if
> your "90%" figure is correct or not.

Is your intent here to make clear that you have no access to hard
data or that you don't believe Walter?  Both?  Other?