Why is D unpopular?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Apr 29 14:21:46 UTC 2022

On 4/28/2022 9:09 PM, Araq wrote:
> On Friday, 29 April 2022 at 01:33:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Um, Zortech C++ was the first native C++ compiler on DOS in 1987. (The
>> existing ones were all cfront based, and were terribly slow.)
>
>  From D&E:
>
> "The size of this overhead depends critically on the time needed to read and
> write the intermediate C representation and that primarily depends on the disc
> read/write strat- egy of a system. Over the years I have measured this overhead
> on various systems and found it to be between 25% and 100% of the "necessary"
> parts of a compilation. I have also seen C++ compilers that didn't use
> intermediate C yet were slower than Cfront plus a C compiler."
>
> That's not "terribly slow". And before you bring up "templates are slow to
> compile", in 1987 cfront did not have templates.
>
> "The earliest implementation of templates that was integrated into a compiler
> was a version of Cfront that supported class templates (only) written by Sam
> Haradhvala at Object Design Inc. in 1989."

Zortech C++ was about 4 times faster than cfront based C++ on DOS machines. This
was my measurements. I agree it had nothing to do with templates. Personally I
doubt Stroustrup had ever tried ZTC++.

I was wrong, ZTC++ came out in 1988, not 1987.

>> ZTC++ produced the first boom in use of C++, accounting for perhaps 90% of C++
>> use.
>>
>> This popularity lead to Borland dumping their own OOP C and going with C++,
>> which then led to Microsoft getting on the bandwagon.
>>
>> This popularity then fed back into the Unix systems.
>>
>> No, you won't find this account in the D&E of C++ histories, but it's what
>> actually happened.
>
> Well that's the history as you remember it and Stroustrup does list "1st Zortech
> C++ release" in June 1988. I cannot say if your "90%" figure is correct or not.

DOS computers were where the great mass of programmers were at the time. 90% is
likely conservative. The programming magazines were all focused on DOS
programming, the articles about C++ were for DOS C++ programming.

Before ZTC++, the traffic on comp.lang.c++ and comp.lang.objectivec was about
the same, and not very much. After ZTC++, the traffic in comp.lang.c++ took off,
and comp.lang.objectivec stagnated.