Why is D unpopular?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Apr 30 09:30:36 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 08:56:55 UTC, Daniel N wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 08:32:19 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> On Friday, 29 April 2022 at 19:44:09 UTC, max haughton wrote:
>>
>> Switching gears to ranges, we have Smalltalk-80 collections as
>> one possible example,
>>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2409926_Interfaces_and_Specifications_for_the_Smalltalk-80_Collection_Classes
>
> Let's focus on smalltalk, what syntax do you use to choose if
> your code snippet should run at runtime or in compiletime? Not
> the entire program, but 50% compile-time and 50% runtime.

You're focusing on the wrong apple, the Smalltalk example was
related to ranges outside of the functional programmig family.

So can focus instead on Lisp as one possible example, use macros
for the 50% at compile time, leave the rest of the code using
streams for the ranges part of the equation.

If you don't like parentheses, that is also possible in Dylan or
Template Haskell.

D hasn't invented anything newer here, and regardless of the
wishfull thinking that it did, you won't find any references to D
as inspiration to those features in modern languages papers like
HOPL, rather to those that have preceeded it.