Why is D unpopular?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Apr 30 17:19:26 UTC 2022

On 4/30/2022 12:07 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Friday, 29 April 2022 at 20:17:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I've seen endless lists of features people wanted to add to C and C++. None of
>> them were CTFE. When we added it to D, people were excited and surprised.
> Only those lacking sound CS background in language research.

Bjarne Stroustrup and Niklaus Wirth are PhD CS researchers. The C++ illuminati
is full of CS academics.

Why did zero of them propose it for C++? Instead, we got all this excitement
over the *discovery* that one could execute programs at compile time with C++
templates. A discovery made by academics.

Why did none say "why don't we just interpret the function instead of this
absurd template metaprogramming technique?"