Why is D unpopular?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Apr 30 20:27:20 UTC 2022

On 4/30/2022 10:39 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/30/2022 1:32 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> Switching gears to ranges, we have Smalltalk-80 collections as one possible
>> example,
>>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2409926_Interfaces_and_Specifications_for_the_Smalltalk-80_Collection_Classes
>

> C++ went the iterator approach. Ranges in C++ occurred only after D did them.

A bit more. C++ invented iterators as a generalization of pointers. D's
contribution was ranges as a generalization of D's dynamic arrays.

Since then, ranges have found their way into C++ via Eric Niebler's
contributions. I think the C++ ranges are a generalization of an iterator pair,
which in my not-so-humble opinion is an inferior design as assembling one is not
safe.

I am not claiming invention of the concept of an object that can iterate through
a data structure, or pipeline programming.