Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 23:10:19 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 21:41:06 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> Confusing that C++ proposal with D's CTFE makes me desperate.
> :( C++ is attempting to go one step beyond C preprocessor
> constants there. "Compile-time function execution" is a couple
> of decades beyond that simplicity.

2003:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2003/n1471.pdf

An iso standard cannot absorb every single proposal, you also
need all vendors on board, and there should be industry demand.
Lots of "promising" ideas are thrown around, but language
evolution of production languages should be conservative and not
move forward until you have multiple independent implementations.
There is a cost involved...

What C++ does right is that they complete the features they spec
out. At the end if the day, that is more important than absorbing
cute/clever proposals.