How hard would it be to create a new backend in D?

rempas rempas at tutanota.com
Fri Aug 5 20:37:19 UTC 2022

I was wondering how easy it would be to create a new backend in
D? From what I know all of the tree DMD, LDC and GDC are using
the same frontend which is the one from DMD. So I would suppose
that there is a way to do that and that probably DMD has evolved
over the years to make its frontend more portable. However, how
strain-forward is it? Is it legit to do it or will it require
"hacking" (if you understand what I mean). So it's not about
working hard but if the work makes sense or if I'll constantly
find obstacles that no one would be able to help me with.

I know some of you will ask so, I want to use
[mir](https://github.com/vnmakarov/mir) as a backend because of
it's fast compile times and it's great runtime performance! So
yeah, not a question purely out of curiosity!