How hard would it be to create a new backend in D?

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 18:02:34 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 6 August 2022 at 07:39:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> The dmd backend is already in D :-)
>
> But since it's all Boost Licensed, anyone can use 0..100% of it
> for their own backend project. No asking is required.
>
> Have fun!

But where is inliner located? I read that several other languages
(Jai, Zig) are trying to make their own x86_64 backends because
GCC and LLVM are too slow. If DMD backend had its IR well
documented and inliner implemented not in the frontend I could
see a future where it could be used by other languages.