How hard would it be to create a new backend in D?

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 19:35:16 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 6 August 2022 at 04:33:41 UTC, rempas wrote:
> a new ecosystem where everyone will compile everything from
> source with the many benefits this adds!

So a Gentoo? Now since Gentoo has been mentioned some one is
required to mention Arch in the responses.

The only benefit I would want from compiling everything myself
instead of downloading precompiled binaries is that I could
enable specific optimizations for my system. The only backends
that have all those optimizations are GCC and LLVM. What other
benefits do you see that are worth the hassle?

I think when talking about creating executables from source code
its better to use the word build instead of compiling to describe
that process. In order to build the program you need to compile
and link. The last time I built debug version of DMD on my system
around half of the time was spent linking so even if you can get
a significantly faster backend the whole build time wont change
significantly. You need to think about the whole pipeline if you
want big changes.