[Off-Topic] John Carmack's point of view on GC and languages like JavaScript

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 20:43:32 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 7 August 2022 at 17:23:52 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> A bit off topic, but worth keeping as reference when someone
> complains about the GC,
>
> John Carmack's answer regarding how he sees GC question on the
> Lex Fridman Podcast.
>
> "It is only when you get into the tighest of the real time
> things that you start saying, no the GC is more cost than it
> has benefits for, but that is not 99.9+% of all software in the
> world..."
>
> https://youtu.be/I845O57ZSy4?t=1370
>
> He eventually follows up with a discussion he had about the
> matter on Twitter, and how some developers cannot let go of the
> good old days fighting for each byte.
>
> He might know a thing or two about high performance code.
>
> Maybe an interview to bookmark and post on the regular GC
> discussion threads, as pinned answer.

That's kinda bullshit, it depends on the GC implementation

D's GC is not good for 99.99% "of all software in the world",
it's wrong to say this, and is misleading

Java's ones are, because they offer multiple implementations that
you can configure and the, they cover a wide range of use cases

D's GC is not the panacea, it's nice to have, but it's not
something to brag about, specially when it STILL stop the world
during collection, and is STILL not scalable

Go did it right by focusing on low latency, and parallelism, we
should copy their GC