[Off-Topic] John Carmack's point of view on GC and languages like JavaScript

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 14:36:13 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 9 August 2022 at 14:03:47 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> On Monday, 8 August 2022 at 19:49:16 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> <snip>
>> That's why these days, I don't pay much attention to people
>> complaining about how this or that is "too inefficient" or
>> "too slow".  Show me actual profiler measurements, and I might
>> pay more attention. Otherwise, I just consign it to the
>> premature optimization bin.
>
> Exactly. That's why I always call the C++ and Rust for
> performance (Rust for safety is a bit different) as POOP
> languages: Premature Optimization Oriented Programming
> languages.

GC is also a premature optimization

Do you need it when you write a 1 step cli tool? no you don't,
DMD disables it

The key is to understand your domain and pick the right tool for
the job

We should not fall into the trap of using a screwdriver for
everything; our strength is our ability to have a GC, but also
stray away from it whenever you domain requires it, vice versa

That's in the vision document, and Atilla perfectly explained it
at DConf

And the doom example from Manu is the perfect real world usecase
of my point

Some interesting thread:

https://twitter.com/TheGingerBill/status/1556961078252343296