[Off-Topic] John Carmack's point of view on GC and languages like JavaScript

Jack Stouffer jack at jackstouffer.com
Wed Aug 10 17:09:50 UTC 2022

On Monday, 8 August 2022 at 22:32:23 UTC, Ethan wrote:
> So tl;dr is that there's tactical usage of non-GC _AND_ GC
> memory in Doom.

Calling this garbage collection is watering-down the term to near
uselessness. This is just manual memory management. I haven't
read the code, but from your description it sounds exactly like a
bump allocator and a tweaked general purpose allocator which can
reuse allocated memory regions when heap fragmentation becomes an
issue.

These days, these technique should be unremarkable. I have no
doubt that this was innovative in '93. But 30 years later,
creating a bump allocator for memory which doesn't change much
after init with a known lifetime of use should be common practice
for programmers, especially when most PCs have > 8gb of RAM.