[Off-Topic] John Carmack's point of view on GC and languages like JavaScript

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Thu Aug 11 13:26:21 UTC 2022

On 12/08/2022 1:20 AM, wjoe wrote:
> I guess it's an ignorant point of view, but I don't see how someone
> whose constraints for writing high-performance, and/or real-time, and/or
> embedded/micro-architecture code, which prohibits the use of a GC, would
> find D-Runtime/Phobos meeting their requirements.

There have been multiple users in this category of D who have
successfully made production systems with the GC linked in.

All memory allocations are expensive and can fail, if you want
performant safe code you have no choice but to prevent allocating memory.

It does not matter what language you use, if you allocate you slow your
code down.