[Off-Topic] John Carmack's point of view on GC and languages like JavaScript

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sun Aug 14 07:44:18 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 14 August 2022 at 07:29:26 UTC, Tejas wrote:

> Isn't this already kinda there with `T*` and `ref T`? Let's
> just go even farther and call `T*` unmanaged and `ref T`
> managed, imo

I tend to mix references and managed pointer in the text, which
is wrong. The reason I sometimes mention managed pointers as
references is that Rust named references as their life time
pointers. It should really be managed pointers or fat pointers.

References in D are similar to C++ and have nothing to do with
memory management. Managed pointers in D requires an own type.