[OT] Greatest language designers

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Aug 19 13:56:24 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 18 August 2022 at 14:22:28 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> Who are the greatest language designers, and why? :-)
>
> Of course we have Walter here in our midst, other greats are of
> course Bjarne Stroustrop, Anders Hejlsberg and James Gosling. I
> think Anders has made the biggest impact in my coding life, and
> I continue to be really impressed with how he is managing large
> teams in developing top notch programming languages and
> environments.
>
> Who else should be added to the list, and why?

Rich Hickey showed functional languages can be practical. Martin
Odersky combined functional and object oriented in a practical
way. This is not to take away from others that worked with
functional languages.

A lot of names could go on this list for demonstrating that
language design doesn't matter for language popularity.