Delta Time - Streamlined Time Keeping For Games

jordan4ibanez jordan4ibanez002 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 22:50:41 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 21 August 2022 at 11:37:35 UTC, Zoadian wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 August 2022 at 00:32:25 UTC, jordan4ibanez
> wrote:
>> This library is extremely simple. A time keeping library for
>> game development.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I just want to throw this link here because it explains the
> 'correct' way to do game loops:
> https://gafferongames.com/post/fix_your_timestep/

I'm just going to put in a min/max allowed delta for you to set
at the beginning of the program's execution. I've been there done
that with the accumulator. On low end machines you will end up
with a cycles loop unless cycles are limited in the accumulator
that will end up freezing the program. Even with this, you will
end up with a slow down as if you just ended up doing the min/max
limiter regardless. Excessive environmental variables make both
of these terrible solutions if you want unlimited accuracy, which
is not possible currently with real time games. I do appreciate
you showing me this regardless because I can warn other
developers in advance