D tooling is disappointing

JN 666total at wp.pl
Mon Aug 22 22:24:23 UTC 2022

On Monday, 22 August 2022 at 10:11:01 UTC, Laurent Tréguier wrote:
> The problem of D's tooling is old, and will probably never be
> completely solved. As you said at the start of your post, this
> is hardly the first time this comes up. I predict it's also not
> going to be the last.

I don't think you can truly "solve" this problem in a language
that has templates. Look at C++, it has much bigger tooling
budget than D and still most IDEs have only rudimentary
autocompletion that breaks as soon as any templates come into
play. I think the issue is that you can even think of a solution
that will work for a template, like array\<int>, but in reality
underneath that array\<int> is a scary type of 10 or more
templates nested together. The fact that many methods return auto
type doesn't help either.

That said, when autocomplete works in D, it usually works better
than comparable C++ autocomplete.