Movement against float.init being nan

claptrap clap at trap.com
Mon Aug 22 23:08:32 UTC 2022

On Monday, 22 August 2022 at 15:56:16 UTC, drug007 wrote:
> On 8/22/22 18:04, claptrap wrote:
>>>
>>> It will be noticed but what price? You've initialized all
>>> vars to 0 so how do you know that this exactly initialization
>>> to zero is wrong?
>>
>> You dont initialise all variables to zero, Ive just looked at
>> some om my code and in 4000 lines i found two default init
>> ints and maybe 50+ explicitly initialised. You're just
>> inventing nonsense scenarios.
>
> But that is my point - not all variables initialize to zero. It
> is my statement that this is nonsense scenarios. Reread the
> post carefully.

"You've initialized all vars to 0"

I can only respond to what you write, (which was a nonsense
scenario.)

>> Occasionally you might have to do a bit of mental arithmetic,
>> but not often, I'm seriously wondering why you think it's so
>> hard?
>>

> Just because I've done math calculations before? And no, I
> didn't mean mental arithmetic. I meant numerical matrix
> operations from inputs to outputs just to track down where was
> wrong zero initialization. In some cases zero initialization is
> invalid, for example covariance of random variables. But NaN is
> invalid always. That is its advantage.

I've been programming for over 30 years, mostly DSP and some
numerical stuff, statistical analysis. My experience is that its
not a big deal.

My point is people are massively overselling how much of a
problem bad inits are to track down.