Movement against float.init being nan

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 25 00:57:06 UTC 2022

On 8/24/2022 11:11 AM, ryuukk_ wrote:
> That's the best answer possible, i used to be annoyed by float not being 0 by
> default, but as i learn more and read different takes on it, it makes sense, and
> i don't mind anymore
>
> The main issue is to get used to it, it takes time if you use other languages
> that defaults to 0

It's one reason why D is simply better than those other languages.

(Not many language designers have experience doing commercial floating point
work, and it shows. I was an early member of NCEG (Numerical C Extensions Group)
which worked hard to add proper floating point support to the C Standard,
including exacting support for NaN. I implemented it in Zortech C/C++ years
before anyone else did.)