Movement against float.init being nan

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 25 16:56:18 UTC 2022

On 8/25/2022 9:16 AM, IGotD- wrote:
> Which is strange because HW wise it is trivial to check if the result is NaN. To
> check that NaN is not based on input is of course more complicated. Then again
> an x86 complicated in an unhealthy way.
>
> This kind of makes another motivation to let floats default to zero, if this is
> correct.

There's nothing to be afraid of in getting a NaN in the output. One should be
glad, because then one *knows* there's a bug.

This thread reminds me of the threads about assert, and the contention that the
program should continue after a failed assert.

1. It is not better to pretend a program is working when it is not.

2. It is not better for a language to guess at what the programmer must have
meant, even if the guess is correct 99% of the time.

3. It is not better to never check the output of the program for correctness.

D is a tool for helping the programmer create correct, robust, and bug-free
programs.