Focus (was Re: draft proposal for Sum Types for D)

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 3 17:08:23 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 3 December 2022 at 16:17:19 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 November 2022 at 06:26:20 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> Go ahead, Make My Day! Destroy!
>>
>> https://github.com/WalterBright/DIPs/blob/sumtypes/DIPs/1NNN-(wgb).md
>
> I don’t want to be discouraging of good work, but D is not
> lacking in great features, it is lacking in its implementation
> of the basics.
> [...]

Yep. I 100% agree.

The issue with D right now are not the bells and whistles.
It's the bread and butter.

As for the template emission, having been away from the issues
and scene for a while made me realize the reason of the emission
issues.
It's that we cannot emit the same symbol twice.

@Ibuclaw if I am correct at least that would be solved by making
template instances weak symbols no?

If we did that we could remove some complexity from the emission.