What Julia Does Right

Greggor Greggor at notareal.email
Sat Dec 10 05:53:37 UTC 2022

On Friday, 9 December 2022 at 19:07:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/9/2022 6:11 AM, Paul Backus wrote:
>>> Resolving environments feels instant, as opposed to the
>>> glacially slow Conda that Python offers. The global "general"
>>> registry is downloaded as a single gzipped tarball, and read
>>> directly from the zipped tarball, making registry updates way
>>> faster than updating Cargo's crates.io.
>
> dmd could be enhanced to read source files from a zip or
> tarball, so these wouldn't have to be expanded before
> compilation.

I would love that, I usually only read the forums & lurk, I made
an account just to say this!

In my case, I don't use dub, or any other package manager, I am a
strong believer of your project should build without a internet
connection. In a lot of my project what I do is have all my
dependencies in tar files & the build script unpacks them and
then builds them.

It would be lovely if I could skip the unpacking and directly
feed them into dmd.

Not only that, this could also be an awesome way of easing
distributing programs via src.

I would love it if I could do something like `dmd
myproject.tar.xz -of=myproject`