Typical security issues in C++: why the GC isn't your enemy

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Mon Dec 12 23:18:13 UTC 2022

On 12/12/22 12:07, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:

> You have my 100% support here. But the tricky thing is that the majority
> of the current D language community seems to disagree with us, as
> evidenced by the apparent rejection of DIP 1028. And we should do a much
> better job convincing them to change their mind.

Sorry, but this is a really bad take. DIP 1028 wanted to make extern(C)
prototypes `@safe` by default, which is essentially the only criticism
it attracted. [1] Walter then decided to pull the DIP entirely. It's not
on the community.

[1] `@safe` on an `extern(C)` prototype is currently equivalent to
`@trusted`. DIP 1028 was therefore "@trusted by default". A really bad
default and one that would make existing _unsafe_ code `@safe` implicitly.