Typical security issues in C++: why the GC isn't your enemy

areYouSureAboutThat areYouSureAboutThat at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 23:56:53 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 14 December 2022 at 23:29:00 UTC,
areYouSureAboutThat wrote:

> That wasn't posted in the context of trusting code, but rather
> in the context of a thread where someone mentioned that OOP is
> not suited to building containers. I just posted that link to
> MS containers to refute that assertion.

Oops. A vorrection to my response above, as I mis-read that link
(thinking it was pointing to C# containers).

the correct answer to the question posed to me:

"Earlier you posted this link:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/misc/cs0227
  Why do you 'trust' the standard library and VM of C# to be
'safe'?"

I don't. But that is not the point I was trying to make.

That link was to demonstrate, that in C# I cannot get untrusted
code into my code without my explicately telling the compiler I
want it. i.e. just marking C# code as unsafe is not enough. You
*also* need to compile with the unsafe option - it cannot just
sneak in just cause someone marked it as unsafe.

This is not the case in D, as per my previous post.

Anyway....