The D standard library is built on GC, is that a negative or positive?

matheus matheus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 11:56:31 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 15 December 2022 at 11:21:56 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> ... Then the question is, how good is a computer algorithm if
> you are supposed to avoid it all the time?

To be honest I don't think people generally are bothered with
this. I mean when I write my batch programs to process something
in D or C# I don't even think about the GC stopping or whatever,
most of the time it will process some data in a reasonable time
so I'm OK.

The other day I had to write a program to comparable the sync
between 2 different databases and check the differences over
millions of lines. The program ran very fast and gave the result
expected in a very reasonable time.

Of course in some areas this may hurt (Like games) and then you
will need to think of ways to avoid it.

But for example imagine a drawing app, let's say you're filling
an area and during this process the GC stops for a second. I mean
will this make so much difference?

Yes some people will notice this, but the majority will not even
think or know this happened.

Where I work (Which is a big Health Insurance in my country), our
main language is C# and we process millions of data every day,
apps, web apps etc. And nobody is complaining too much about the
delay in our operations.

Matheus.