arsd users: weigh in on proposed breaking change

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Mon Dec 19 20:18:54 UTC 2022

On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 01:27:37PM +0000, Adam D Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> Before:
>    terminal.d = stand-alone
>    cgi.d = stand-alone
>    http2.d = stand-alone
>    color.d = stand-alone
>    simpledisplay.d = needs color.d
>
> etc. etc.
>
> After, if we make all the changes:
>
>    terminal.d = needs core.d, textlayouter.d
>    cgi.d = needs core.d
>    http2.d = needs core.d
>    color.d = stand-alone
>    simpledisplay.d = needs color.d, core.d, textlayouter.d
[...]

This will probably break a few of my projects that use arsd.terminal.
But since the fix is so easy, and I use git submodules to pull in arsd
(meaning I will get all the files anyway), this isn't a big deal. I'll
just fix a couple of build scripts and that's all.

On that note, though, it would be nice if D had some kind of feature
where only actual dependencies end up in the executable, i.e.,
end-to-end pay-as-you-go.  But that's just a dream... We've been trying
to make druntime/Phobos pay-as-you-go for years, and still haven't come
close to the ideal state yet.

Prosperity breeds contempt, and poverty breeds consent. -- Suck.com