Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Thu Dec 22 05:02:41 UTC 2022

On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 07:23:47PM -0800, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 12/21/2022 3:13 PM, monkyyy wrote:
> > If you are finding d too unwieldy to add features to, maybe its time
> > to start planning d3 and how you going to clean up the technical
> > debt
>
> Every time I try to clean up technical debt, a cadre arises objecting
> that it breaks existing code.

That's what versioning is supposed to solve. Freeze the current
language as version 2, put it on long-term maintenance, and start a new
branch as a new version with breaking changes that fix technical debts.

The current language has plenty of rough spots that shouldn't be set in
stone forever; there is still room for D to develop into the future.
Don't lock yourself into the current suboptimal state; acknowledge it as
the best effort so far, and give yourself a new opportunity to do
better.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -- Abraham Lincoln