Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Dec 22 07:59:58 UTC 2022

On 12/21/2022 9:02 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> That's what versioning is supposed to solve.

I know about versioning. But our -preview and -revert switches are better, as
they allow the user to selectively decide which obsolete features they need. The
request is always "I want X bug fixed, I want to keep the old Y feature, I want
the new Z feature."

But the people objecting to breaking code also object to using a -revert switch.

Versioning comes with other problems. The most significant is we lack sufficient
staff to maintain multiple versions.

> Freeze the current
> language as version 2, put it on long-term maintenance, and start a new
> branch as a new version with breaking changes that fix technical debts.

The trouble there is that fixing bugs *also* comes with breaking existing code.
There is no clean separation between the two.