Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 08:26:33 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 21 December 2022 at 19:59:58 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:

> But to address your point, ImportC has been a big success for D.

Show me any project that successfuly uses ImportC, or didn't
happen.

> I appreciate any help identifying specific problems and
> reporting them on bugzilla.

And then reverting PRs that actually fix those problems.

> Every time I try to clean up technical debt, a cadre arises
> objecting that it breaks existing code.

Yet I find dlangui to be broken at least once a month with every
new DMD/Phobos release.

On Wednesday, 21 December 2022 at 19:35:54 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> Stop trying to fix C. Fix D instead.

> -Steve

Fully agree.

This thing right here
https://dlang.org/spec/hash-map.html#static_initialization has
been "Not YET implemented" for as long as I work with D (that's
more than 3 years), and it doesn't seem to be bothering anyone.
But yes, implementing a compiler inside a compiler is much more
important, when the original compiler doesn't even work properly.