Format of the next DConf Online

Greggor Greggor at notareal.email
Fri Dec 23 07:15:27 UTC 2022

On Monday, 19 December 2022 at 15:31:53 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Monday, 19 December 2022 at 14:38:26 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>
>> Next time, everything will happen in the livestream. For each
>> talk:
>>
>> * I'll chat with the speaker for 10 or 15 minutes before the
>> talk, with viewers free to chime in
>> * I'll switch from the Jitsi to the talk, and we'll watch it
>> together in the stream
>> * For any on-topic questions (about the talk) during the talk,
>> I'll pause it and let the speaker answer verbally, then I'll
>> resume the talk
>> * After the talk, we'll keep the speaker around for another 15
>> or 20 minutes for more Q & A and discussion.
>>
>> This way, viewers don't have to choose and I can still have my
>> Q & A videos after the conference.
>
> This sounds like a better strategy. Also, please:
>
> * Schedule it for a time that doesn't conflict with the World
> Cup final and other major sporting events.

It was not just the world cup, it was also the week end of when
winter break starts for a lot of students & is close to
Christmas. This will effect availability, because this is when
people start traveling and doing Family related stuff.

In general I think this was a death by a thousand paper cuts type
deal: Not much time passed from the last Dconf, Online stuff is
slowing down as people return to IRL, the Holidays are
approaching & there apparently was major sports event going on.

I do also want to say that I'm not blaming anyone here, I don't
think any of this was too obvious until it happened.