Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Dec 23 22:57:29 UTC 2022

On 12/23/2022 2:37 PM, rikki cattermole wrote:
> P1: separate out known state modules (ideally good) vs unknown state.

Please be more specific.

> To turn a module into known state you must severely document it, including TODO's.

One of my most common review comments are: "Please add ddoc comments to added
functions." A common thing I do when working on a section of code is add ddoc
comments to the functions.

> For good state: do the TODO's.

Grepping for TODOs in the source code doesn't yield much.

> Sound familiar? Its packagerization of leaf modules.

We've already discussed that one to death.

> Oh and on another note: WTF why do we have two ASTs? That's a massive technical
> debt to keep paying in maintenance (which we don't do).

That was a refactoring added by people other than me. I agree with you on that
one. Finding the right refactoring is not easy.