Send me your list of D gripes and wishes

ag0aep6g anonymous at example.com
Sat Dec 24 23:22:47 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 24 December 2022 at 19:53:34 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> Your report was not ignored.

I didn't say it was.

> It's that changing it would break existing code, something I
> get routinely excoriated about.

You use that excuse a lot, and it rarely truly applies. It
doesn't apply here. People complain when you break their valid
code. They don't complain when you make their buggy code fail to
compile. Or rather: If someone complains about that, you should
ignore them.

> The -mv switch was added to deal with this problem, and is
> mentioned in the comments on the issue.
>
> https://dlang.org/dmd-windows.html#switch-mv

That linked documentation is buggy itself. "path/filename" is
missing in the syntax line. Someone should fix that, or at least
file an issue. Not me though.

Also, that switch seems to be meant to ease the transition for
when the bug gets fixed. But the bug hasn't been fixed.

> There have also been two PRs by marler8997 about it.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7778
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7878
>
> though I'm not sure why he closed the second.

Really? Andrei argued against fixing the issue. Jonathan simply
accepted that. Andrei was wrong, of course, but we can't blame
Jonathan for yielding to the (supposedly benevolent) dictator.

For me, dealing with D's leadership has been an infuriating
experience time and time again. It's the one reason why I have
dialed back my contributions to near zero. There is a lot to fix
in D, but when I have to fight for the privilege of cleaning up
after you guys while you refuse to even recognize your own bugs,
that's just not worth it.

I can't say for sure that Jonathan Marler stepped away for the
same reason, but I am sure that poor handling of contributors has
cost D a lot of talent.