Send me your list of D gripes and wishes

bachmeier no at spam.net
Sun Dec 25 18:01:24 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 25 December 2022 at 15:58:55 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 December 2022 at 07:47:19 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 12/24/2022 7:10 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>>> I have alot of memories like this one from when I use to try
>>> to fix issues with D. I have a passion about my tools being
>>> correct, but, I found myself spending more time arguing with
>>> people than writing code. It was miserable.
>>
>> I don't like arguing, either. I often spend more time arguing
>> about a PR than developing it. I understand how frustrating
>> this can be. I suppose it just comes with the territory when
>> there are a lot of stakeholders doing reviews.
>
> If you don't like arguing, then just stop arguing.

I think the point Walter's making is that he has to go through
the same review process, and it sucks for him too. I take the
last sentence to mean it's caused by the current system giving
veto power to many people.

My impression is that in the early days functionality was more
important than getting it right. That's how things like std.json
ended up in the standard library. Then it changed to "it's got to
be perfect" and that causes frustration and makes willing
contributors quit.

The answer is to make major changes to the development process.