Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

monkyyy crazymonkyyy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 03:04:58 UTC 2022

On Friday, 30 December 2022 at 02:17:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> The hubris of "can't be allowed to fail" software is what
> allowed hackers to manipulate a car's engine and brakes
> remotely by hacking in via the keyless door lock. (Saw this on
> an episode of "60 Minutes".)

Id blame that more on the hubris of adding computers to a
physical system that could be simple.

I dont understand why its such a rare opinion to think about
software as fail safe or fail dangerous depending on context;
most software that exists should be fail safe, where every
attempt is made to make it to keep going. Airplanes, nasa and
maybe even hard drive drivers; write triple check every line of
code, turn on every safety check and have meetings about each and
every type; fine. Code I realistically will write? Nah