Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sat Dec 31 14:41:11 UTC 2022

On 12/31/22 15:31, Timon Gehr wrote:

>>> No, the check was at compile time.
>>
>> The pattern matching is done at run time.
>
> I don't get the relevance of this.

By the way, you were under-quoting. This is the relevant context:

On 12/31/22 07:34, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/29/2022 7:37 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> I am not saying software can't be allowed to fail, just that it should fail compilation, not at runtime.
>
> In your description of pattern matching checks in this thread, the check was at runtime.

I.e., we were talking about failure, then you made an unrelated and
obvious, i.e., spurious, remark about pattern matching happening at
runtime instead of addressing the actual point. Now you seem to be
doubling down on this.

I was talking about _failure_. You then started talking about pattern
matching. I don't want to contest that pattern matching happens at
runtime. Not at all. But it's just not the check we had been talking
about...