[OT] The Usual Arithmetic Confusions

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 16:41:45 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 3 February 2022 at 01:26:04 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2 February 2022 at 21:42:43 UTC, Dukc wrote:
>> In the opposite case we would have undefined behaviour at
>> `@safe` code.
>
> People in the D community has the wrong understanding of what
> "undefined behaviour" means in a standard specification… this
> is getting tiresome, but to state the obvious: it does not mean
> that the compiler cannot provide guarantees.

What's your point? Even when a compiler provides more guarantees
than the language spec, you should still avoid undefined
behaviour if you can. Otherwise you're deliberately making your
program non-spec compliant and therefore likely to malfunction
with other compilers.