64bit only on Windows?

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Sat Feb 5 00:21:17 UTC 2022

On Friday, 4 February 2022 at 23:22:42 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2022 at 11:11:13PM +0000, forkit via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> In looking at the whole process of building on Windows, it
>> does feel like it's carrying a big ball and chain .. and
>> anyone who gets involved in it, needs to carry that as well ;-(
>>
>> At some point of course, the continual effort exerted in
>> dragging it, will eventually catch up with you, and stop you
>> from moving forward.
>
> It's interesting that Walter primarily works on Windows, yet
> the toolchain build process is more streamlined on *nix
> platforms. :-D

I think that's because Walter mostly uses internal tools only he
knows how to use and his process of working isn't "mainstream"
nor does he rely on the toolchain.

While the majority of users of D aren't Windows users, so that's
why non-Windows has better support.

Personally I'm mostly a Windows user myself and even after using
D for a decade I still find myself shooting myself in the foot
once in a while trying to just build a simple project.

I think the biggest problem on Windows is linking. It never
really works out of the box.